1.Apache drill should be installed in distributed mode, if not first set-up Apache drill in distributed mode.
2.Install Tableau 9 desktop version - Desktop version is not free,download trial version and install it.
3.Apache ZooKeeper set-up, if not existing refer ZooKeeper installation
Set-up Apache Drill with Tableau 9 Desktop1. Download ODBC driver(provided by MapR) - Tableau 9.0 Desktop 64 bit can use either the 32-bit driver or the 64-bit driver. Download 32 bit driver installer
2. Install downloaded driver(keep default settings) and after installation verify the installation. Refer this for the same. Installing the ODBC Administrator installs Drill Explorer and the Tableau TDC file.
3. Configure ODBC driver - here we have to create a Data Source Name using ODBC Administrator app. Go to start-> find 32-bit ODBC Administrator. Refer this for more detail.
Click System DSN tab in ODBC Administrator window and click on configure. Update fields : Direct to Drillbit and port (IP address of my machine where Apache drill instance is running) and port number 31010 is default port used.Click on test and check for connectivity with Apache drill.
|ODBC configuration for Apache Drill connection|
4. Now connect Tableau to Drill via ODBC- Start tableau and create new data source of type(Other oracle ODBC).Click More servers -> Other oracle ODBC and select DSN as "MapR ODBC Driver for Drill DSN", update port number as 31010(default port unless modified).
1. SELECT * FROM `dfs`.`default`.`./home/zytham/data/employee.json`
2. SELECT * FROM `dfs`.`default`.`./home/zytham/data/department.json`
These employee.json and department.json sample shipped with Apache drill, download it from here.
|Click New custom SQL and execute both query mentioned above one after another.|
7. Click on Sheet 1(bottom left). right click on marital status and gender field from EMP_SQL_QUERY(Dimension section) and do "Add to sheet". Similarly, right click on salary from EMP_SQL_QUERY(Measures section) and do "Add to sheet". It will generate a bar graph automatically based on gender and marital status with total salary. Change total salary to average salary - Right click on Sum(salary) -> Measure -> Average.